Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Heaven Is For Real

So I'm still in the giddy phase with my brand new Kindle--downloading and reading books left and right--and last night I downloaded a copy of a book that I have to say I am a little embarrassed to admit that I read. The day I got my Kindle as a graduation gift, I downloaded all kinds of sample books from Amazon (a great feature of the device; you  usually get the first chapter of a book).  One I downloaded at the recommendation of a family member was this book entitled Heaven Is For Real.  I'll confess that I downloaded the sample just to be respectful, not because I seriously thought I'd read it.  That is until last night...

I picked up the Kindle to read a bit of G.K. Chesterton last night, and after reading about a chapter of Orthodoxy, browsed through some of my samples.  I read through the sample chapter of this book.  Here's the DL: A Wesleyan pastor out of a small town (2,000 people) in Nebraska tells the story of his four-year-old son who, after undergoing an emergency appendectomy on his ruptured appendix, began telling his parents of seeing and experiencing heaven during his surgery.

I know, I know.  If you're like me you exit out of this blog right now and go about the rest of your day, thinking a little bit less of me than you did before you checked out this blog.  That's OK by me; I'm still processing what I think about this book, too, but I wanted to get it out there for conversation.

I'm not sure why I bought the book (although it was pretty cheap through the Kindle): maybe it was the fact that the preface included praises from both a General Superintendent and a District Superintendent of the Wesleyan Church, and I was a little curious as to whether or not this sister denomination was falling into some pseudo-Christian fantasy; maybe it was something else--but in any case I downloaded the book, intending to skim through the first few chapters and then head to bed.

At 2AM I finished the book, and only then did I head to bed.  I couldn't put it down.

Now, I've only ever read one other book on a near-death experience and it was awful.  I hesitate to give the title because it was a book given to me by a dear Christian friend.  But the fact of the matter was that it was the most gnostic and truly anti-Christian thing I'd ever read: stories about being a floating spirit, floating throughout the universe, soaking in all knowledge (Greek = gnosis), being happy about being free from the evil body (denial of the resurrection), talking about the transmigration of souls from heaven to earth and then back to heaven again...it was just awful.  I couldn't finish it all.

This book wasn't anything like that.  I kept waiting for it to turn into that, but it didn't.  It was a rather simple account, by the pastor dad, of the kinds of things his 4-year-old son revealed to him over the course of months and years about his experience while on the operating table.  Things like: seeing Jesus, who is the only one in heaven who wears purple, and who has "markers" in his hands and feet; getting a hug from his sister, who was a miscarriage his parents never told him about; meeting his great-grandfather, Pop, who had passed away 30 years before Colton's birth, while "sitting" next to the Holy Spirit; giving his parents a detailed picture of where they were and what they were doing while he was undergoing his operation, saying he could look down on them and see them.

As the dad processed what his son was telling him (in little spurts, here and there, over the course of many months), he kept going back to the scriptures and trying to reconcile what he said with what he found there.  Perhaps more than any other aspect of the book, this kept my attention.  The dad, who as I mentioned is a pastor, did not take his son's experience and then interpret the scriptures in light of it; he kept going back to the scriptures and trying to interpret his son's experience in light of them.  At times I thought, Well if he just had a more sophisticated knowledge of that passage in Revelation, he would realize that this imagery is not to be taken literally--Jesus does not necessarily wear a crown in his exalted state, for instance.  I was checked (I think by the Spirit), though, every time these thoughts would arise.

The question kept coming back to me, and I continue to wrestle with it today: Why is it so hard to believe that this little boy had an experience or vision of what he understood as 'heaven' (and what might be more accurately referred to, as Paul referred to it, as 'Paradise,' the place where believers await the resurrection of the dead?)  Do I really believe that Paul had such an experience? (See 2 Cor. 12:1-13, where Paul is most likely using a rhetorical function ["I know  man..."] to describe an experience he himself had.)  What about John the Revelator?  Was his Apocalypse simply a literary production, or did he really see through a "door" in heaven that stood open? (Rev 4)  Why am I so quick to dismiss the possibility?

The boy's story never undermined the doctrine of the resurrection; he described distinct visions of God the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit; after the experience, his dad describes how deeply concerned he was that people "have Jesus in their heart," because, he said, they couldn't go to heaven without having Jesus in their heart.  This was no unitarian, universalistic, gnostic portrait of the afterlife; it was something, at least in my judgment, fairly agreeable to the visions of Paul and John in the scriptures.

So, I don't know....  Now I'm just starting to ramble.  As you can probably tell (if you've even read this far), I'm just kind of processing all of this "out loud" as it were.  But I'm curious: Have you read the book or heard this boy's story in the news?  If so, what do you think?  How much credence should we give to it?  Is there something I missed that really undermines its congeniality with the scriptures?  I would truly welcome feedback as I continue to process all of this.

All I know right now is that it is as if I didn't realize I was thirsty for something like this until I had been refreshed by reading it.  Now I realize that my sensitivity to such stories--even the ones we find in the scriptures--was...well, how to put it... dry.  I read them, accepted them intellectually, but never truly considered them.  And maybe that's a good thing--not to put too much credence in these obscure passages and experiences.  But maybe I've neglected these things too much?  Maybe....

Your thoughts?

8 comments:

  1. A few weeks ago I read a review that highly praised this book, so I used the Amazon peek inside feature to read some excerpts. I was interested enough that if I had had a copy of the book, I think I'd have read the whole thing that night, just like you did. I was favorably impressed. I think what I liked most about the excerpts I read is that the author seemed fairly humble and didn't seem to want to force an agenda down the reader's throat. He seemed genuinely to just want to tell this story so that others would also know what had happened to his son and family. The book didn't bother me the same way other afterlife books can frustrate me. The account of heaven didn't totally jive with what my doctrine and personal beliefs hold to, but I didn't read anything that contradicts my deepest-held doctrine, either. I think the excerpts made me more curious than anything else. If this really did happen, I trust this boy's experience will help further God's kingdom, and that's enough for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment, Elizabeth. I think I think (a phrase my professor likes to use) that I'm aligned pretty much with your point of view: not sure how to reconcile every detail of the story with what I already believed, but I find the story compelling nonetheless. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed the book. I read it at the urging of a teen lady in my church who was impressed by it. I was like you, Ian, hesitant at first of the whole concept. Yet upon reading it the pastor was humble in writing it and the story believable as seen through a child's eyes. I liked especially the part of the child who was rasied by an atheist yet had a gift for art. She had painted/drawn a dream about a Christ figure. After rejecting many interpretations of artist's views of Jesus Christ, the little boy looked at hers and said "That is right!" More to that story, check out the book! A good reader will keep an open mind. I don't mind holding a few things "in tension" for the sake of reading an interesting life experience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alright, I'll be the jerk, here. The significance of tying this little boy's experience into Paul's experience of "reaching the third heaven" is this: Paul was commanded to tell no one about it. Are we to believe that God restricted one of the apostles from telling the world about paradise and is now revealing it to us in the form a little boy, 2000 years later? Sounds a lot like the way Jehovah's witnesses came to their conclusions...just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nick,

    I'm sure not trying to place the boy's testimony on the same level as Paul's, and I'm still not really sure what to make of it altogether--so I'm not trying to really defend the boy's experience, but my question is this: Sure, Paul was told not to speak about his experience, but does that mean that everyone who has such an experience is told to keep in under wraps? What about John the Revelator? Obviously he was not told to keep his visions of heaven quiet. I obviously think we have to test the experiences of individuals against the scriptures and the testimony of the church throughout the ages, but as I mentioned in the blog I found very little in the boy's description that I felt couldn't be reconciled with scripture and tradition.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I didn't really think you were defending the book, I figured you were just asking for opinions...Once again, John the Revelator was inspired with a vision from heaven, and because he encountered Jesus, his vision is credible. At the same time, John doesn't really say much about the "third heaven" as Paul does - it seems pretty clear from scripture that paradise is under wraps, for now. Just my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nick, I think I agree with you--that paradise is under wraps for the time being. So does that mean we have to tell this young boy that he did not experience what he thinks he did? I just am struggling with that in this particular case.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have you read Challies review of this? I tend to agree with his thoughts on it.

    ReplyDelete