Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Abraham has a bosom?


In reading the works of John Wesley over the past few weeks, I have been stopped dead in my tracks by an orthodox Christian doctrine that, I have to admit, has rarely ever slid across my radar. Let me ask you a few questions before I explain:

Do you remember what Jesus said to the penitent thief on the cross? "I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in Paradise"? Have you ever wondered, as I have, well how does that work? Does Paradise=Heaven? or is something else going on here?

Or what about that passage in Luke 16, where Jesus tells the parable about the "rich man" who went to "Hades" (this is the Greek word used, not "hell"), and Lazarus who went to "Abraham's Bosom." What do we do with that? Does "Paradise"="Abraham's Bosom"="Heaven"? Does Hades=Hell? (And what about the Old Testament word, "Sheol" that I see in my footnotes all the time?)

Or what about that extremely awkward clause in our creed which says that Jesus "descended into Hades" (again, "Hades," not "hell" is the word used)? How did that make it into a creed for crying out loud?!

It seems to me that most of us, myself included, have simply glided past these problematic texts, never questioning the simple assumption that, upon death, people either go to heaven or hell. But is that even a biblically grounded assumption, or did we import that into the text?

But then what do we do with the fact that the biblical witness expects a general resurrection of all mankind at the end of time, when Christ returns and judges the world? Isn't it then that people go to heaven or hell--only once they have been judged?

And what do we do with the fact that "heaven" is not really what the New Testament says Christ invites us into, but rather "the kingdom of heaven," and, at the end of time he welcomes us to participate in "a new heavens and new earth"?

Once again, I submit that, for most of us, we have just ignored the problems in our theological understanding of the afterlife. We might suppose that this is the realm of "speculative theology," and have considered ourselves unfit for the task of sorting this all out. However, I would submit that this is not a very difficult problem to solve, it's just one that we're very unfamiliar with because of our neglect of it.
(I mean, come on, if you're going to explain how the world will end with a rapture of the Church, a 3.5year period of peace, followed by the "abomination of desolation" in a rebuilt temple in Jerusalem, which is followed by the great Battle of Armaggeddon, which includes armies from Russia, China, and Iran teaming up against the Jews in Israel, and then 3.5 years of anarchy and cosmic chaos ensue, which will precede Christ's final coming.... then the doctrine I'm about to propose we reappropriate is kindergarten-level stuff comparatively.)

It has occurred to me, as I've read Wesley's sermons, that we in the modern evangelical church have simply ignored a key doctrine concerning the afterlife: that doctrine is, for lack of a better term (there may be a better one I am unfamiliar with) the doctrine of the intermediate state--or, in plain English, the teaching about where people go when they die before the final resurrection and judgment.

So, if you were to die in the next five minutes, would you go to heaven or hell? Well, unless you intend to usurp the final judgment of Christ, I guess you would have to say that you wait in a place the Jews called "Sheol" and the Greeks called "Hades" (the Bible uses both terms), which is divided into two realms: "Paradise" or "Araham's Bosom" for the righteous, and the other, apparently unnamed side, where the wicked await final judgment. Either way, all of us wait for the final judgment, when Christ will decide who participates in the "new heavens and new earth," and who will be banished from it to the place he calls "Gehenna" or "hell."

Right Christian teaching says that we await the resurrection in the abode of the dead, which is given names like "Hades," "Sheol," "Abraham's Bosom," and "Paradise"--not that we go to heaven or hell when we die.

I am going to assume at this point that I have overloaded most of our brains, and stop here, even though much more could be said on the matter, and I have probably created more questions than answers.

However, I'm very interested in your comments on this: have you ever heard the doctrine of the intermediate state preached? Has it come up in Bible studies you've participated in? What did you think about the word "Hades" before you read this? Have you ever even considered that the idea of us going to either heaven or hell when we die sort of messes up our chronology of the general resurrection and judgment (not to mention that it's sort of not in the Bible)? Any thoughts, comments, questions, concerns would be much welcomed. This is my attempt to open up a dialogue on an orthodox teaching of the Church that, somehow, I think most of us have just simply missed. So, let's hear from you!

4 comments:

  1. Ian,

    Like you, I was unaware of any doctrine of an intermediary state. I have learned quite a bit in reading Wesley's sermons over the last few weeks, and it just makes sense. We've had the conversation in person, but I just wanted to post and say ditto, word, 'magine.

    Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, thanks Andrew! Yeah, while it might seem like I'm trying to bring up a controversial point with this blog, it has dawned on me how quite UN-controversial these ideas would have been for Christians of past generations. It's so odd that we have just LEFT OUT this doctrine of the last things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Ian,
    Your post completely resonated with me. I'm currently working through NT Wright's "Surprised by Hope," and it has been an absolutely illuminating experience. Recurring theme: the potency of the Resurrection, and our tendency to gloss over this incredible truth. Heaven, it seems, is an easy settling point, but does not match up to the power of the Resurrection.

    I, as well, have been unexposed to a doctrine on the intermediary state. While on a visceral level, this stuff is quite frightening, your articulation of it is very intriguing. Keep me updated!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tony,

    It is SO good to hear from you! And awesome to hear that you're engaging a scholar like N.T. Wright--he's one of the most profound authors of our time, for sure. I think you've identified THE centerpiece of New Testament theology--the Resurrection of Christ. That's what it is ALL about. In Jewish-Christian thought, there is only ONE resurrection (despite what some fringe groups, like modern premillenial dispensationalists may say), and since Christ HAS BEEN raised, we know that the resurrection has already begun. HIS resurrection secures OURS. This is the amazing truth of Paul's words in 1 Cor. 15.

    I appreciate your comments so much, Tony. Hope we can chat soon!

    ReplyDelete